This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov
. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at https://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html
TITLE 8. INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
DIVISION 1. DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
CHAPTER 1. DIVISION OF WORKERS' COMPENSATION-QUALIFIED MEDICAL EVALUATOR
Article 2. QME Eligibility
§13. Physician's Specialty.
(a) A physician's specialty(ies) is one for which the physician is board certified or, one for which a medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy has completed a postgraduate specialty training as defined in Section 11(a)(2)(A) or held an appointment as a QME in that specialty on June 30, 2000, pursuant to Labor Code Section 139.2. To be listed as a QME in a particular specialty, the physician's licensing board must recognize the designated specialty board and the applicant for QME status must have provided to the Administrative Director documentation from the relevant board of certification or qualification.
(b) All requests by a physician to add or remove a medical specialty shall be in writing. A physician seeking to add or change specialties shall include the documentation specified in subdivision (a) that establishes the physician is board certified in the specialty or the subspecialty recognized by the Administrative Director that the physician wishes to add. The failure to provide proof of board certification shall be grounds to deny the request.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 133, 139.2, 139.4, 139.43, 139.45 and 5307.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 139.2(b)(3)(A), Labor Code; and Section 651(i), Business and Professions Code.
1. New section filed 8-1-94; operative 8-31-94 (Register 94, No. 31).
2. Amendment of section filed 8-23-96; operative 9-22-96 (Register 96, No. 34).
3. Amendment filed 4-14-2000; operative 5-14-2000 (Register 2000, No. 15).
4. Amendment filed 8-23-2001; operative 8-23-2001 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4 (Register 2001, No. 34).
5. Amendment of section and Note filed 1-13-2009; operative 2-17-2009 (Register 2009, No. 3).
6. New subsection (a) designator and subsection (b) filed 9-16-2013; operative 9-16-2013 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4(b)(3) (Register 2013, No. 38).
Go Back to Article 2 Table of Contents