|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) The following boilers are not subject to annual inspection and do not require a permit to operate providing they comply with all of the provisions of subsection (b):
(1) Low-pressure boilers.
(2) Miniature boilers.
(3) High-temperature water boilers.
(4) Boilers, including forced circulation boilers, in which none of the following are exceeded:
(A) One hundred square feet (100 sq. ft.) of heating surface.
(B) Steam drum does not exceed 16 inches inside diameter.
(C) Maximum allowable working pressure does not exceed 100 psi.
(D) Water capacity does not exceed 35 gallons when filled to normal operating level.
(E) The BTU input to the burners does not exceed 400,000 BTU/hr.
(b) Boilers exempt from annual inspection in subsection (a) shall comply with all of the following:
(1) All other provisions of these Orders including construction and installation.
(2) Automatically controlled fired boilers shall be fitted with all the applicable controls required for low-pressure boilers in 763(d).
(3) All automatic controls shall be maintained in operating condition.
(c) Nothing in sections (a) and (b) above shall prohibit any qualified safety engineer employed by the Division from requiring any boiler to be prepared for inspection when in his opinion such inspection is necessary to determine the safety of the boiler.
1. Amendment filed 11-2-66; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 66, No. 38). Approved by State Building Standards Commission.
Go Back to Article 5 Table of Contents