| Return to index
(a) Effective for boiler installation and/or relocation building permits issued on or after November 1, 2002, all boiler supporting structures shall be designed for the following loads:
(1) The live and dead load of the boiler as prescribed in the 2001 California Building Code.
(2) Other imposed loads including those resulting from wind, and seismic forces, as prescribed in the 2001 California Building Code.
(b) Each member of a structural support shall be so located or insulated that the heat from the boiler cannot warp or impair its strength.
(c) The installation of water-tube boilers in battery settings shall be prohibited unless provisions are made at the time of installation to make possible the periodic inspection of the exterior surfaces of all heads installed in the common wall.
(d) The installation of horizontal tubular boilers in battery settings shall be prohibited, unless the boilers are suspended by independent outside suspension structures with top crossbeams sufficiently strong to safely carry all the boilers without intermediate supports.
(e) Each boiler shall be installed in such a manner that all external surfaces and all appurtenances can be made accessible for inspection, cleaning, maintenance, and operation.
(f) Adequate passageways or work areas at least 24 inches wide shall be provided for safe access to and operation of controls.
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 11-2-66; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 66, No. 38). Approved by State Building Standards Commission.
2. Amendment filed 4-1-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 14).
3. Amendment of subsection (a)(3) filed 7-27-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 31).
4. Amendment of section heading and section and new Note filed 1-9-2003; operative 2-8-2003 (Register 2003, No. 2).