| Return to index
(a) Every portable and stationary gin pole mast (telescoping type excepted) shall be equipped with a crown platform that will provide access to the crown block, unless lines can be reeved on the crown block sheaves by an employee standing on the mast ladder, in which case a ladder safety cage may be provided in lieu of the crown platform.
(b) The platform shall be not less than twenty-four by twenty-four inches (24" x 24") in size. Smaller platforms may be used if employees are provided with and required to use safety belts and lanyards.
(c) The outer edges of the platform, except for the ladder opening, shall be equipped with standard railings and toeboards.
(d) When a ladder safety cage is provided in lieu of a crown platform it shall be:
(1) At least three and one-half feet (3 1/2') long.
(2) At such an elevation as will provide protection against an employee falling from the ladder while standing on it to reeve lines over the sheaves.
(3) Constructed and installed to provide a clearance on the climbing side of the ladder of at least twelve inches (12") but not more than fourteen inches (14") from each side of a line drawn vertically through the center of the ladder width, and of at least twenty inches (20") but not more than twenty-four inches (24") outward.
(e) On every telescoping type gin pole mast, one of the following provisions shall be made for lubricating the crown block sheaves:
(1) Lowering the upper section of the mast to a point where the lubricant feeders can be reached from the top of the ladder on the lower section.
(2) Providing a remote oiling system by which the crown block sheaves can be lubricated from the top of the lower section or from ground level.
(3) Extending the ladder on the lower section of the mast to crown block level.
(4) Lubricating the crown block sheaves while the mast is in horizontal position.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of section heading and section and new Note filed 5-8-95; operative 6-7-95 (Register 95, No. 19).