(a) Except as specified in subsection (a)(1) for marine terminal operations, at least one U.S. Coast Guard approved 30-inch life ring with not less than 90 feet of 600 pound capacity line attached shall be kept in a readily accessible place where employees' work exposes them to the hazard of drowning or each employee so exposed shall wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation device (PFD).
(1) Marine terminal operations regulated by Group 3, Article 14 (commencing with Section 3459) shall have at least one life ring kept in a readily accessible place where employees' work exposes them to the hazard of drowning and each employee so exposed shall also wear a PFD as specified in subsection (a).
EXCEPTION to Section 3389(a): Flume Patrol. The life ring or the PFD specified in subsection (a) is not required for patrol of flumes provided with caps as described in Section 3207, sufficient to guard against exposure to the hazard of drowning.
(b) Any personal flotation device shall be approved by the United States Coast Guard as a Type I PFD, Type II PFD, Type III PFD, or their equivalent, pursuant to 46 CFR 160 (Coast Guard Lifesaving Equipment Specifications) and 33 CFR 175.23 (Coast Guard table of devices equivalent to personal flotation devices.)
(c) Personal flotation devices shall be maintained in good condition. The employer shall inspect each personal flotation device frequently enough to ensure that it does not have rot, mildew, water saturation, or any other condition that could render the device unsuitable for use. They shall be removed from service when damaged so as to affect their buoyant properties or capability of being fastened.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 11-28-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 48).
2. Amendment of subsections (a) and (b) and new Note filed 6-7-96; operative 7-7-96 (Register 96, No. 23).
3. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 2-27-2018; operative 4-1-2018 (Register 2018, No. 9).
4. Amendment of subsection (a), new subsection (a)(1) and amendment of Exception to subsection (a) filed 2-6-2019; operative 4-1-2019 (Register 2019, No. 6).
5. Editorial correction of Exception to subsection (a) (Register 2019, No. 8).
6. Editorial correction of Exception to subsection (a) (Register 2019, No. 10).