This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov
. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at https://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html
CHAPTER 4. DIVISION OF INDUSTRIAL SAFETY
Subchapter 6. Elevator Safety Orders
GROUP 4. CONVEYANCE INSTALLATIONS FOR WHICH THE INSTALLATION CONTRACT WAS
SIGNED ON OR AFTER MAY 1, 2008
ARTICLE 41. CONVEYANCES COVERED BY ASME A17.1-2004
Return to index
§3141.8. Electric Conveyances.
Electrical conveyances shall comply with the following:
(a) A means of access to the governor from outside the hoistway as required by ASME A17.1-2004, section 184.108.40.206.2(b)(1), is not required provided that:
(1) The governor can be inspected and serviced from the top of the car, and the governor can be tripped for testing from outside the hoistway;
(2) The governor can be reset automatically when the car is moved in the up direction or the governor can be reset from outside the hoistway;
(3) There is a mechanical means to secure the car during governor or governor rope replacement or removal, and signs requiring that the car be secured before removal of the governor rope are clearly visible and located in the vicinity of the governor. Instructions in the use of this means shall be available on site for use by a CCCM;
(4) It is not possible to reset the governor switch from inside the hoistway;
(5) Additional permanent lighting of not less than 5 footcandles and a switch for the lighting shall be provided in the governor area; and
(6) Written procedures for testing, servicing, maintaining, and inspecting the governor shall be developed and made available to the CQCC providing the service on the elevator and upon request to the Division.
(b) A hoistway is not required to have a floor above it per ASME A17.1-2004,
section 220.127.116.11.1, if there is no machine room or other room above the hoistway that requires entry to perform functions such as maintenance, inspections, estimates by consultants, etc.
(c) A stop switch complying with section 18.104.22.168(a) through (c) of ASME A17.1- 2004 shall be placed at a readily accessible location adjacent to the elevator driving machine if the driving machine is located in the hoistway.
(d) A car top emergency exit shall not be permitted on an elevator installed in a partially enclosed hoistway.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 142.3 and 7323, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 142.3 and 7323, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 4-1-2008; operative 5-1-2008 (Register 2008, No. 14).
Go Back to Article 41 Table of Contents