This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov
. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at https://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html
CHAPTER 4. DIVISION OF INDUSTRIAL SAFETY
Subchapter 6. Elevator Safety Orders
GROUP 4. CONVEYANCE INSTALLATIONS FOR WHICH THE INSTALLATION CONTRACT WAS
SIGNED ON OR AFTER MAY 1, 2008
ARTICLE 41. CONVEYANCES COVERED BY ASME A17.1-2004
Return to index
§3141.10. Conveyances Used for Construction.
(a) Conveyances used for construction covered in ASME A17.1-2004, section 5.10, shall comply with the following:
(1) A trained and authorized person shall be stationed at, and operate the controls in, the elevator car at all times while the elevator is accessible and available for use. Training shall include at least conveyance operation and emergency procedures such as entrapment, elevator fire, earthquake conditions, or other emergency procedures associated with conveyance operations.
(2) There shall be an effective means of two-way voice communication between the operator and a second person at a different location on the jobsite available at all times while the elevator is staffed by an operator.
(3) There shall be an effective means of two-way voice communication (wired or wireless) between the conveyance operator and all hall landings. A separate communication system shall be provided at each landing and be operable at all times while the elevator is in use, i.e., an annunciator next to the operator's station in the car, which can be activated from the landings.
(4) An emergency plan and procedure to include items such as entrapment, elevator fire, earthquake conditions, or other emergency procedures associated with conveyance operations shall be developed and made available to the Division during any inspection.
(5) When permanent doors are installed, approved interlocks shall be provided.
(6) A durable sign with lettering not less than 1/2 inch on a contrasting background shall be conspicuously posted inside the elevator car indicating that:
(A) The conveyance is for construction use only.
(B) The conveyance shall be operated only by an authorized person.
(7) Durable signs with lettering not less than 1/2 inch on a contrasting background shall be conspicuously posted at all landings instructing the elevator user how to summon the conveyance.
(8) The conveyance shall be parked and secured against unauthorized access after working hours.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 142.3 and 7323, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 142.3 and 7323, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 4-1-2008; operative 5-1-2008 (Register 2008, No. 14).
Go Back to Article 41 Table of Contents