Subchapter 5. Electrical Safety Orders
Group 2. High-Voltage Electrical Safety Orders
Article 35. Workspace and Guarding (Formerly Article 84)
(a) At least one entrance not less than 24 inches wide and 6 1/2 feet high shall be provided to give access to the working space about electrical equipment.
(1) On switchboard and control panels exceeding 48 inches in width, there shall be one entrance at each end of such boards unless the location of the switchboards and control panels permits a continuous and unobstructed way of exit travel, or unless the work space required in Section 2932(a) is doubled.
(2) Where one entrance to the working space is permitted under the conditions described in subsection 2931(a)(1), the entrance shall be located so that the edge of the entrance nearest the switchboards and control panels is at least the minimum clear distance given in Table 2932 away from such equipment.
(3) Where bare energized parts at any voltage, or insulated energized parts above 600 volts, nominal, to ground are located adjacent to such entrance, they shall be suitably guarded.
(b) Permanent ladders, or stairways, shall be provided to give safe access to the working space around electrical equipment installed on platforms, balconies, mezzanine floors, or in attic or roof rooms or spaces.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
2. Amendment filed 12-10-87; operative 1-9-88 (Register 88, No. 1).
3. Amendment of section and Note filed 4-1-2009; operative 4-1-2009. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3 (Register 2009, No. 14).