Subchapter 5. Electrical Safety Orders
Group 2. High-Voltage Electrical Safety Orders
Article 3. General
(a) Electrical installations and equipment shall be constructed or protected to withstand the atmospheric and environmental conditions to which they will be subjected.
(b) Unless identified for use in the operating environment, no conductors or equipment shall be located in damp or wet locations; where exposed to gases, fumes, vapors, liquids, or other agents that have a deteriorating effect on the conductors or equipment; or where exposed to excessive temperatures.
(c) Cabinets, cutout boxes, fittings, boxes, and panelboard enclosures.
(1) Cabinets, cutout boxes, fittings, boxes, and panelboard enclosures in damp or wet locations shall be installed so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and accumulating within the enclosures and shall be mounted so there is at least 0.25 in. (6.35 mm) airspace between the enclosure and the wall or other supporting surface.
Nonmetallic enclosures may be installed without the airspace on a concrete, masonry, tile, or similar surface.
(2) Enclosures shall be weatherproof in wet locations.
(d) Switches, circuit breakers, and switchboards.
Switches, circuit breakers, and switchboards installed in wet locations shall be enclosed in weatherproof enclosures.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction adding NOTE filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
2. Amendment filed 12-10-87; operative 1-9-88 (Register 88, No. 1).
3. Amendment of section and Note filed 4-1-2009; operative 4-1-2009. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3 (Register 2009, No. 14).