|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Unless otherwise protected, railings as set forth in Section 1620 shall be provided along all unprotected and open sides, edges and ends of all built-up scaffolds, runways, ramps, rolling scaffolds, elevated platforms, surfaces, wall openings, or other elevations 7 1/2 feet or more above the ground, floor, or level underneath.
(1) Float and ladder jack scaffolds.
(2) Bricklayers' and masons' scaffolds used in accordance with Sections 1641 (e) and 1644(a)(6).
(3) During demolition on the floor or surface being demolished.
(b) A standard toeboard shall be 4 inches (nominal) minimum in vertical height from its top edge to the level of the floor, platform, runway, or ramp. It shall be securely fastened in place and have not more than 1/4-inch clearance above floor level. It may be made of any substantial material, either solid, or with openings not over one inch in greatest dimension. Toeboards shall be provided on all open sides and ends of railed scaffolds at locations where persons are required to work or pass under the scaffold and at all interior floor, roof, and shaft openings.
NOTE: Except for structural steel crafts.
(c) Where material is piled to such height that a standard toeboard does not provide protection, paneling or screening from floor to intermediate rail or top rail shall be provided. Where such paneling or screening extend to the toprail, midrails may be omitted.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 11-14-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 46).
2. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 9-5-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 36).
3. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 3-7-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 10).
4. Amendment of subsections (b) and (c) filed 1-14-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 3).
5. Change without regulatory effect amending subsection (a) filed 7-17-91 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 91, No. 50).
6. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 7-30-97; operative 8-29-97 (Register 97, No. 31).
Go Back to Article 16 Table of Contents