The employer shall provide training as follows:
(a) Overhead power lines. The employer shall train each employee specified in Section 1612.1(g) in the topics listed in Section 1612.1(g).
(b) Signal persons. The employer shall train each employee who will be assigned to work as a signal person who does not meet the requirements of Section 1618.2(c) in the areas addressed in that section.
(1) Operators-in-Training for equipment where certification or qualification is required by this Article.
The employer shall train each operator-in-training in the areas addressed in Section 1618.1(b)(1)(C) and (D). The employer shall provide re-training if the operator-in-training does not pass a qualification or certification test.
(2) Transitional Period. During the four-year phase-in period for operator certification or qualification, as provided in Section 1618.1(e), employers shall train each operator who has not yet been certified or qualified in the areas addressed in Section 1618.1(b)(1)(C) and (D).
(3) Operators excepted from the requirements of Section 1618.1. The employer shall train each operator excepted under Section 1618.1(a) from the requirements of Section 1618.1 on the safe operation of the equipment the operator will be using.
(4) The employer shall train each operator of the equipment covered by this subpart in the following practices:
(A) On friction equipment, whenever moving a boom off a support, first raise the boom a short distance (sufficient to take the load of the boom) to determine if the boom hoist brake needs to be adjusted. On other types of equipment with a boom, the same practice is applicable, except that typically there is no means of adjusting the brake; if the brake does not hold, a repair is necessary. See Section 1616.1(g) and (j) for additional requirements.
(B) Where available, the manufacturer's emergency procedures for halting unintended equipment movement.
(d) Competent persons and qualified persons. The employer shall train each competent person and each qualified person regarding the requirements of this subpart applicable to their respective roles.
(e) Crush/pinch points. The employer shall train each employee who works with the equipment to keep clear of holes, and crush/pinch points and the hazards addressed in Section 1616.3 (Work area control).
(f) Tag-out. The employer shall train each operator and each additional employee authorized to start/energize equipment or operate equipment controls (such as maintenance and repair employees), in the tag-out and start-up procedures in Sections 1616.1(g) and (h).
(g) Training administration.
(1) The employer shall evaluate each employee required to be trained under this subpart to confirm that the employee understands the information provided in the training.
(2) The employer shall provide refresher training in relevant topics for each employee when, based on the conduct of the employee or an evaluation of the employee's knowledge, there is an indication that retraining is necessary.
(3) Whenever training is required under this Article, the employer shall provide the training at no cost to the employee.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 7-7-2011; operative 7-7-2011. Exempt from OAL review pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2011, No. 27).