Subchapter 4. Construction Safety Orders
Article 3. General
(a) A minimum of one separate toilet facility shall be provided for each 20 employees or fraction thereof of each sex. Such facilities may include both toilets and urinals provided that the number of toilets shall not be less than one half of the minimum required number of facilities.
(1) Where there are less than five (5) employees, one (1) single-user toilet facility designated for all-gender use is sufficient.
(2) Each single-user toilet facility designated for all-gender use counts as one of the required separate toilet facilities if all of the following conditions are met: 1) the total number of toilet facilities provided is in accordance with subsection (a); 2) all single-user toilet facilities are designated for all-gender use, and; 3) all multi-user separate toilet facilities are provided in equal number to each sex.
(b) Under temporary field conditions, not less than one toilet shall be available.
(c) Where the provision of water closets is not feasible due to the absence of a sanitary sewer or the lack of an adequate water supply, nonwater carriage disposal facilities shall be provided. Unless prohibited by applicable local regulations, these facilities may include privies (where their use will not contaminate either surface or underground waters), chemical toilets, recirculating toilets, or combustion toilets.
(d) Toilet facilities shall be kept clean, maintained in good working order, designed and maintained in a manner which will assure privacy and provided with an adequate supply of toilet paper.
(e) The requirements of this section shall not apply to mobile crews having readily available transportation to nearby toilet facilities.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 7-12-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 28).
2. Repealer and new section filed 1-7-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 2).
3. Repealer and new section filed 9-27-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 40).
4. Amendment of subsection (d) filed 1-26-94; operative 2-25-94 (Register 94, No. 4).
5. Repealer and new Exceptions to subsection (a) filed 3-3-2020; operative 7-1-2020 (Register 2020, No. 10).