| Return to index
Diving for Scientific Purposes
This Appendix contains guidelines that will be used in conjunction with Section 6050(a)(1)(E) to determine those scientific diving programs which are exempt from the requirements for commercial diving. The guidelines are as follows:
1. The Diving Control Board consists of a majority of active scientific divers and has autonomous and absolute authority over the scientific diving program's operations.
2. The purpose of the project using scientific diving is the advancement of science; therefore, information and data resulting from the project are non-proprietary.
3. The tasks of a scientific diver are those of an observer and data gatherer. Construction and trouble-shooting tasks traditionally associated with commercial diving are not included within scientific diving.
4. Scientific diver, based on the nature of their activities, must use scientific expertise in studying the underwater environment and, therefore, are scientists or scientists in training.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New Appendix B filed 12-8-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 50).
Go Back to Article 153 Table of Contents