|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) The following Safety Orders from Title 8, California Administrative Code are hereby made a part of these orders:
(1) General Industry Safety Order 3228(i): Number of Exits, Boilers Furnace and Incinerator Rooms. See Appendix 1.
(2) General Industry Safety Order 3274: Valves and Controls. See Appendix 1.
(3) General Industry Safety Order 3311: Flarebacks. See Appendix 1.
(4) General Industry Safety Order 3312: Entering Combustion Chambers, Flues, Boilers or Unfired Steam Pressure Vessels. See Appendix 1.
(5) General Industry Safety Order 3310: discharge Location. See Appendix 1.
(6) General Industry Safety Order 3514: Tubular Gage Guard. See Appendix 1.
(7) General Industry Safety order 3515: Try Cock Discharge Resceptable. See Appendix 1.
(8) General Industry Safety Order 3516: Steam Gage and Water Gage Glass Location. See Appendix 1.
(b) All fired boilers, not included in Sections 763 and 771, equipped with controls to permit the burners to be ignited automatically shall be equipped with a full safety pilot or other device that will provide equivalent safety. Such safety pilot or other device shall be of a type that will de--energize the electrical circuit and/or cause the main burner fuel valve to close within the following burner input and time limits.
400,000 BTU/HR and under.......................... 90 seconds
400,001 to 2,500,000 BTU/HR....................... 9 seconds
Over 2,500,000 BTU/HR............................. 5 seconds
(c) All dampers used in smokestacks of boilers which use natural draft shall have suitable openings to vent the furnace.
(d) When portable electric lights are used inside any boiler or pressure vessel they shall be equipped with a vaportight globe, substantial guard, rugged nonconducting lamp holder and handle, and shall have type S cord or equivalent sufficiently long to reach to a plug-in or junction box outside the vessel.
1. Repealer and new subsection (b) filed 8-12-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 33). For prior history, see Register 74, No. 42.
2. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 12-14-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 51).
Go Back to Article 6 Table of Contents