| Return to index
(a) Before a belt conveyor is installed in an underground mine, permission shall be secured in writing from the Division.
(b) Conveyor belting used underground shall be of a type that is acceptable to the Division.
(c) When application is made to install a conveyor in a mine, information regarding the following shall be submitted to the Division:
(1) Service for which the conveyor is intended.
(2) Width and length of conveyor.
(3) Size of passageway in which the conveyor will operate.
(4) Kind of automatic devices that will be provided to shut off the power should the belt stop.
(5) Fire protection to be provided.
(6) Any other information considered pertinent by the Division.
(d) When in the opinion of the Division a belt conveyor can be operated safely in a mine, permission may be granted to the applicant, specifying the conditions under which such belt conveyor shall be operated.
(e) When permission to use a belt conveyor is granted, the conditions specified are those believed necessary for the protection of workers. If experience in the operation of the belt conveyor indicates that any of the conditions are inadequate or unnecessary, the Division may revise the conditions in the light of such experience.
(f) Permission to use a belt conveyor underground may be revoked for failure to comply with the conditions specified by the Division.
Go Back to the Mine Safety Orders, Article 18 Table of Contents