| Return to index
(a) The design, fabrication, and assembly of piping systems installed prior to July 26, 2006, shall comply with General Industry Safety Orders and ASME B31.3- 1990, Chemical Plant and Petroleum Refinery Piping herein incorporated by reference. The design, fabrication, and assembly of piping systems installed on or after July 26, 2006, and the testing, inspection, and repair of all piping systems shall comply with Article 146 of the General Industry Safety Orders; API 570, Piping Inspection Code, Second Edition, October 1998, Addendum 3, August 2003; and ASME B31.3-2002, Process Piping; herein incorporated by reference.
(1) Excluded and optional piping systems specified in Section 1.2.2 of API 570-2003, are subject to inspection and testing by the employer in accordance with good engineering practices.
(b) Safe access shall be provided to all valves, or their remote controls, whenever it is necessary to operate them.
(c) Valves or their remote controls shall be provided with means of ready and safe access when required by the frequency of operation or the necessity of emergency operation. The valves included in this classification are:
(1) Valves manually operated as often as once a shift.
(2) Valves on fuel lines to a plant, unit, or internal combustion engine.
(3) Valves on lines, the emergency operation of which may be necessary for the safety of employees.
(d) Manually operated valves required for the emergency shutdown of units shall be maintained in good operating condition and provided with ready and safe access. Such valves shall plainly indicate whether they are open or closed.
(e) Quarter turn valves shall be provided with a means to indicate whether the valve is in the open or closed position.
(f) If a permanently attached handle is used on a quarter turn valve, it shall be installed or placed on the valve in such a position that the handle is at right angles to the line when in the closed position, and parallel with the line when in the open position. If compliance with the provisions of this subsection obstructs a passageway or walkway, the handle may be bent so as to provide clearance.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of section heading, repealer and new text and new Notefiled 9-6-94; operative 10-6-94 (Register 94, No. 36).
2. Amendment of section heading and section filed 6-26-2006; operative 7-26-2006
(Register 2006, No. 26).
Go Back to Article 16 Table of Contents