|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) (G-2, G-3) Openings in platforms to permit the passage of men climbing the derrick ladder shall be provided as follows:
(1) The width of the openings parallel to the ladder width shall be at least twenty-two inches (22") but not more than thirty inches (30"). The ladder shall be placed midway along the width of the opening.
(2) The openings shall be clear and unobstructed to a distance of at least twenty inches (20") outward from the front of the ladder rungs or steps.
(3) There shall be a clearance of at least twenty inches (20") between platform railings and toeboards and the ladder rungs or steps.
(4) Exception: Platforms installed on G-2 derricks before June 13, 1952, and not having the clearances required in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subsection, will be allowed a two inch (2") minus tolerance.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New Note filed 5-8-95; operative 6-7-95 (Register 95, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 18 Table of Contents