| Return to index
(a) Overhead protection and necessary screens or barriers, of sufficient strength and dimension to afford adequate protection for the operator, shall be provided on or above all logging machines. Such devices shall be constructed so that they do not substantially impair the operator's view.
(b) Substantial barriers or bulkheads that protect the operator shall be provided on all logging machines when the design, location, or use of such machines exposes the operators to materials or loads being handled. Such barriers or bulkheads shall be of adequate size, capable of withstanding the impact of the materials handled.
(c) Machines, sleds, or bases shall be designed and constructed for their intended purposes; machines shall be securely anchored to their bases.
(d) Mobile logging machine brakes shall be capable of stopping and holding the machine on any grade on which it is being operated or parked. The brakes shall be effective in any direction of travel regardless of whether the engine is running. Mobile logging machines shall also be equipped with a brake locking device.
(e) Controls shall be maintained in good operating condition.
(f) Exhaust pipes shall be located or guarded so that employees are not endangered by accidental contact with them.
(g) Brakes or dogs shall be installed on all hoist drums.
(1) Brakes shall be maintained in effective working condition.
(2) Brake linings shall be of materials designed for this purpose.
(3) Brake levers shall be provided with a ratchet or other equally effective means for securely holding the drums.
(4) Brakes shall be protected from direct exposure to the elements, or shall be of design or construction which renders them impervious to such exposure.
(5) At the start of each shift, operators shall test brakes before taking any full load.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsections (a) and (f) filed 2-6-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 6).