(a) Scope and Application.
(1) This Section applies to all fixed extinguishing systems, using dry chemical as the extinguishing agent. These systems shall also comply with Article 160.
(2) When dry chemical extinguishing systems are provided they shall be designed and installed in an approved manner.
NOTE: For information on dry chemical extinguishing system design and installation, consult the National Fire Protection Association's Standard for “Dry Chemical Extinguishing Systems”, NFPA 17, 2013 edition and/or your local jurisdiction fire department.
(b) Specific Requirements.
(1) The employer shall assure that dry chemical agents are compatible with any foams or wetting agents with which they are used.
(2) The employer may not mix together dry chemical extinguishing agents of different compositions. The employer shall assure that dry chemical systems are refilled with the chemical stated on the approval nameplate or an equivalent compatible material.
(3) When dry chemical discharge may obscure vision, the employer shall provide a pre-discharge employee alarm which complies with Article 165 and which will give employees time to safely exit from the discharge area prior to system discharge.
(4) The employer shall sample the dry chemical supply of all but stored pressure systems at least annually to assure that the dry chemical supply is free of moisture which may cause the supply to cake or form lumps.
(5) The employer shall assure that the rate of application of drychemicals is such that the designed concentration of the system will be reached within 30 seconds of initial discharge.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer of Article 161 (Section 6180) and new Article 161 (Section 6180) filed 9-8-81; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 81, No. 37). For prior history, see Register 76, No. 29.
2. Editorial correction of subsection (a)(2) filed 11-9-81; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 81, No. 45).
3. Change without regulatory effect deleting Title 24 reference (Register 87, No. 49).
4. Amendment of subsection (a)(2) filed 12-2-2014; operative 1-1-2015 (Register 2014, No. 49).