(a) All smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers except as noted in subsection (b).
(b) Commercial stocks of smokeless propellants shall be stored as follows:
(1) In quantities over 20 pounds and not more than 110 pounds, they shall be stored in portable wooden boxes having walls of at least 1-inch thickness.
(2) In quantities over 100 pounds and not more than 750 pounds, they shall be stored in nonportable storage cabinets having wooden walls of at least 1-inch thickness or other non-sparking material of equivalent strength. Not more than 400 pounds shall be permitted in any one cabinet.
(c) Commercial stocks in excess of 750 pounds and not more than 5,000 pounds may be stored in a building if all of the following requirements are met:
(1) The warehouse or storage room is not accessible to unauthorized personnel.
(2) The smokeless propellant stocks are stored in nonportable storage cabinets having wooden walls at least 1-inch thick and having shelves with not more than a 3-foot separation between shelves.
(3) Not more than 400 pounds is permitted in any one cabinet.
(4) Cabinets are located only against walls of the storage room or warehouse with a minimum distance between cabinets of 40 feet.
(5) Separation distance between cabinets may be reduced to 20 feet if barricades:
(A) are attached to the wall and are at least twice the height of the cabinet;
(B) are centered between cabinets and extend at least 10 feet beyond the wall toward the center of the room;
(C) are constructed of at least 2-inch thick lumber, brick, or concrete block or steel plate at least 1/4-inch thick, or of equivalent materials; and
(D) are firmly attached to the building structure at both ends.
(6) Smokeless propellant is separated by a fire-resistive wall of 1-hour rating or by a distance of 25 feet from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids and oxidizing materials.
(7) The building is equipped with an automatic sprinkler system installed in compliance with Article 159.
(d) Commercial stocks of smokeless propellant not stored in accordance with subsections (b), and (c) of this Section, whichever applies, shall be stored in a magazine constructed and located as specified in Article 114.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
2. Repealer of subsection (b) and consecutive relettering of subsections (c)-(e) filed 9-18-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 38).
3. Amendment of section and new Note filed 7-11-2003; operative 8-10-2003 (Register 2003, No. 28).