| Return to index
(a) General Requirements.
(1) Charges shall be armed (assembled or combined with detonators) at the point of deployment or in a safe, dry location as close to the deployment area as possible.
(2) Explosives and blasting agents shall not be armed in any occupied area or building.
(3) If no such facility exists near the deployment area, charges may be armed at the bottom of the slope in an arming room that meets requirements in Section 5355.1.
(b) Method I. Handcharge Arming at the Deployment Site.
(1) The capped fuse shall be inserted in the explosive charge at the deployment site.
(2) The initiation system shall consist of a fuse cap and water resistant safety fuse, or detonating cord, or non-electric shock-tube assembled as recommended by the manufacturer.
(3) Fuse caps shall be attached to correct length fuses prior to being transported to control routes.
(4) No spark-producing metal tools shall be used to open explosives containers.
(5) Only non-sparking implements shall be used to punch holes in an explosives cartridge.
(6) Disbursement of explosive materials from the storage magazine shall be done outside the storage magazine. Records shall be maintained for all explosives disbursed in accordance with Section 5251(n) of these Orders.
(7) Fuse caps, capped fuses, armed handcharges, or fuse igniters shall not be allowed in any magazine storing explosives.
(c) Method II. Handcharge Arming Inside an Arming Room. Method II is different from Method I in that the capped fuse is inserted in the explosive charge inside an arming room. The assembly procedure of Method II shall include requirements of subsection (b) and the following:
(1) No other explosive materials shall be present when fuse caps and fuses are being assembled in the arming room;
(2) The handcharges shall not be armed until just before the intended time of distribution;
(3) The capped fuse shall be laced or taped in position after inserting the cap in the charge;
(4) Each handcharge shall be placed in an explosives box or avalanche blasting pack immediately after assembly is completed.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of section heading and section and new Notefiled 9-24-97; operative 10-24-97 (Register 97, No. 39).
2. Repealer and new section heading and section filed 10-10-2007; operative 11- 9-2007 (Register 2007, No. 41).