| Return to index
(b) Explosive devices shall not be transported with detonators installed unless installation of the detonator is necessary at the time of loading.
(c) Explosive charges shall be protected from mechanical damage, heat, and electric current during storage and transportation.
(d) Loaded explosive power actuated devices shall be stored in a manner which will result in the least possible hazard to employees in case of fire or premature explosion as follows:
(1) Jet charges assembled in appropriate carriers shall be stored on storage racks in designated areas or as appropriate.
(2) Projectile-type devices to be maintained in the horizontal position shall be stored in pits below ground level in an isolated part of a building at least 25 feet from work areas, in an open area at least 25 feet from any building, or surrounded by a barrier capable of withstanding the blast of the device and/or containing the projectile(s).
(3) Armed explosive devices (detonator installed) shall be stored in pits below ground level or compartmented steel containers.
(e) Quantities of explosive-actuated power device charges less than 50 pounds net weight of explosives, not assembled as in subsection (b)(1) or less than 500 detonators may be stored in a Type 2 magazine located in a building provided that:
(1) The storage area within the building is enclosed by walls of one-hour fire resistant construction or the enclosure is protected by an acceptable automatic sprinkler system or the magazine is located within 10 feet of an exit.
(2) The magazine is on a floor having a ground level exit.
(3) A distance of 10 feet is maintained between detonator and explosive magazines.
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of section heading and section and new Note filed 7-11-2003; operative 8-10-2003 (Register 2003, No. 28).
Back to Article 118 Table of Contents