|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
The magazine heating systems shall meet the following requirements:
(1) The radiant heating coils within the building shall be installed in such a manner that the explosive materials or their containers cannot contact the coils and air is free to circulate between the coils and the explosive materials or their containers.
(2) The heating ducts shall be installed in such a manner that the hot air discharge from the duct is not directed against the explosive materials or their containers.
(3) The heating device used in connection with the magazine shall have controls which prevent the ambient building temperature from exceeding 130oF.
(4) The electric fan or pump used in the heating system for a magazine shall be mounted outside and separate from the wall of the magazine and shall be grounded.
(5) The electric fan motor and the controls for electrical heating devices used in heating water or steam shall have overloads and disconnects which comply with the Electrical Safety Orders. All electrical switch gear shall be located a minimum distance of 25 feet from the magazine.
(6) The heating source for water or steam shall be separated from the magazine by a distance of not less than 25 feet when electrical and 50 feet when fuel fired. The area between the heating unit and the magazine shall be cleared of all combustible materials.
(7) The storage of explosive materials and their containers in the magazine shall allow uniform air circulation so temperature uniformity can be maintained throughout the explosive materials.
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3 Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsections (b), (d), (e) and (f), and new subsection (j) filed 10-17-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 42).
2. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
3. Amendment of subsection (i) filed 9-18-80 effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 38).
4. Amendment of section heading, repealer of subsections (a)-(i), subsection
relettering and amendment of newly designated subsections (j)(5) and (j)(7)
filed 7-11-2003; operative 8-10-2003 (Register 2003, No. 28).
Go Back to Article 114 Table of Contents