|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Scope. This Article prescribes minimum standards for preventing employee exposure to confined space hazards, as defined by Section 5156(b), within such spaces as silos, tanks, vats, vessels, boilers, compartments, ducts, sewers, pipelines, vaults, bins, tubs, and pits.
NOTE: This Article does not apply to underwater operations conducted in diving bells or other underwater devices or to supervised hyperbaric facilities.
(b) Application and definitions.
(1) For operations and industries not identified in subsection (b)(2), the confined space definition along with other definitions and requirements of section 5157, Permit-Required Confined Spaces shall apply.
(2) The confined space definition along with other definitions and requirements of section 5158, Other Confined Space Operations shall apply to:
(A) Construction operations regulated by section 1502;
(B) Agriculture operations (including cotton gins) defined by section 3437;
(C) Marine terminal operations defined in section 3460;
(D) Telecommunication manholes and unvented vaults regulated by section 8616;
(E) Grain handling facilities regulated by section 5178.
(F) Natural gas utility operation within distribution and transmission facility vaults defined in Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations Parts 191, 192 and 193; or
(G) Electric utility operations within underground vaults. See section 2700 for a definition of vault.
NOTE: Shipyard operations are regulated by section 8355.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New article 108 (sections 5156-5159) filed 9-14-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 78, No. 37).
2. Amendment of section heading, subsection (a) and Note and repealer and new subsection (b) filed 11-24-93; operative 12-24-93 (Register 93, No. 48).
3. Change without regulatory effect amending subsection (b)(2)(D) filed 2-9-94 pursuant to title 1, section 100, California Code of Regulations (Register 94, No. 6).
4. Repealer of subsection (b)(2)(D), subsection relettering, and new Note filed 1-30-95; operative 1-30-95. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code Section 142.3(a)(3) (Register 95, No. 5).
5. Editorial correction restoring inadvertently omitted article 108 heading (Register 2000, No. 31).
Go Back to Article 108 Table of Contents