| Return to index
(b) Before adjustments and repairs are started on a crane or derrick, the following precautions shall be taken as applicable:
(1) Cranes shall be placed where they will cause the least interference to and be least interfered with by other equipment or operations in the area.
(2) Boom and load block shall be lowered to the ground or floor, if possible, or otherwise secured against dropping.
(3) All power controls shall be locked or otherwise secured in the stop position and starting means rendered inoperative.
(4) Warnings and barriers shall be placed to warn others from danger area and protect the crane under repair from being struck by other machines or equipment.
(c) After all repairs and adjustments have been made, the crane shall not be operated until all guards have been reinstalled, safety devices reactivated, and maintenance equipment removed, including all loose material.
(d) Adjustments shall be maintained to assure correct functioning of the following components:
(1) All functional operating mechanisms.
(2) Safety devices.
(3) Control systems.
(4) Power plants.
(e) When welding repair procedures are required on load sustaining members, instructions shall be provided by the certified agent and those instructions shall be followed where applicable. Welds on all critical crane or derrick parts shall be performed only by qualified welders who are certified to perform high quality welding.
(f) All repair welds performed on critically stressed members, such as boom chord, mast chord, and main deck girders (where permitted by a certified agent), shall be magnetic particle tested or tested by ultrasonic or other suitable nondestructive means as well as visually inspected. All indicated repairs shall be made promptly and records of the most recent test shall be kept until a new test is conducted or until the part is permanently removed from service.
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsections (c) and (d) filed 3-7-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 10).
2. Amendment filed 8-29-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 39).
3. Amendment of subsection (f) filed 6-3-2002; operative 7-3-2002 (Register 2002, No. 23).
Go Back to Article 100 Table of Contents