|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Loose material, tools, lunch box, clothing, etc., shall be stored in a manner which will not interfere with the operation of the crane or derrick controls.
(b) The operator shall respond to signals only from the appointed signal person, but shall obey a stop signal at any time.
(c) Whenever the operator doubts the safety of a movement, the operator shall be authorized to stop the hoisting operation until safety has been assured.
(d) A warning signal shall be sounded as required, particularly when approaching workers.
(e) Before leaving the crane unattended, the operator shall be required to:
(1) Land or properly secure any attached load, bucket, lifting magnet, or other device;
(2) Disengage clutch;
(3) Set travel, swing, boom brakes, and other locking devices unless otherwise specified by the certified agents;
(4) Put controls in the "off" position;
(5) Stop the engine or motor;
(6) Secure crane against accidental travel.
(f) Before closing the switch or starting the engine, all controls shall be in the "off" position and all personnel in the clear.
(g) If power fails during operation, the operator shall be required to:
(1) Set all brakes and locking devices;
(2) Move all clutch or other power controls to the "off" position;
(3) If practical, the suspended load shall be landed under brake control.
(h) The operator shall be required to test all controls at the start of a new shift. If any controls do not operate properly, they shall be adjusted or repaired before operations are begun.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 8-29-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 39).
Go Back to Article 98 Table of Contents