|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 13. Cranes and Other Hoisting Equipment
Article 98. Operating Rules
(a) A signal person shall be provided when the point of operation is not in full and direct view of the operator unless a signaling or control device is provided for safe direction of the operator.
(b) Only qualified persons shall be permitted to give signals.
EXCEPTION: A stop signal may be given by any person.
(c) A uniform signal system shall be used on all operations and if hand signals are used, they shall be clearly understood by the operator. (Note: For recommended hand signals, see Plate I.)
(d) Signal systems other than manual shall be protected against unauthorized use, breakage, weather or obstruction which will interfere with safe operation. In the event of any known malfunction, an alternate signal system shall be used or all motion shall be stopped.
(e) There shall be conspicuously posted in the vicinity of the hoisting operations, a legible chart depicting and explaining the system of signals used.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 2-13-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 7).
2. Amendment of subsection (d) filed 7-6-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 27).
3. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 1-17-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 3).
4. Amendment filed 8-29-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 39).
5. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 5-20-2004; operative 6-19-2004 (Register 2004, No. 21).
6. New subsections (f)(1)-(2) filed 5-23-2007; operative 6-22-2007 (Register 2007, No. 21).
7. Repealer of subsections (f)(1) and (f)(2) and reservation of subsection (f) filed 1-28-2013; operative 4-1-2013 (Register 2013, No. 5).
RECOMMENDED HAND SIGNALS FOR CONTROLLING CRANE OPERATIONS, PART I
RECOMMENDED HAND SIGNALS FOR CONTROLLING CRANE OPERATIONS, PART II
RECOMMENDED HAND SIGNALS FOR BOOM EQUIPMENT OPERATIONS
Go Back to Article 98 Table of Contents