| Return to index
(a) The weight of the demolition ball shall not exceed 50 percent of the crane's rated load, based on the length of the boom and the angle of operation at which the demolition ball will be used, or its weight shall not exceed 25 percent of the nominal breaking strength of the line by which it is suspended, whichever results in a lesser value.
(b) The ball shall be attached to the load line with a swivel-type connection to prevent twisting of the load line and shall be attached by positive means in such a manner that the weight cannot become accidentally disconnected.
NOTE: The swing of the boom should not exceed 30 degrees from the centerline, front to back of the crane mounting.
(c) The load line and attachment of the demolition ball to the load line shall be checked at least twice each shift.
(d) Truck cranes without outriggers extended shall not be used to swing a demolition ball.
(e) No employees, which can be adversely affected by demolition operations, shall be permitted in any area when balling or clamming is being performed. Only those employees necessary for the performance of the operations shall be permitted in this area at any time.
(f)(1) Cranes used on demolition job-sites to perform balling, clamming and related lifting operations shall not be required to comply with the annual certification requirement of Section 5021.
(2) Cranes used exclusively for demolition operations as stated in subsection (f)(1) and that are moved from demolition job-site to demolition job-site shall not be required to comply with the annual certification requirement in Section 5021.
(3) Cranes with or without a current annual certification as required in Section 5021 and used for balling or clamming operations shall be recertified or certified when used for lifting operations (lifting service) not associated with demolition operations. This requirement shall apply even if the crane's annual certification is current.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 11-28-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 48).
2. Amendment filed 8-29-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 39).
3. Amendment of subsection (a) and new subsections (e) and (f)(1)-(3) filed 5-22-95; operative 6-21-95 (Register 95, No. 21).
Go Back to Article 93 Table of Contents