|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 10. Gas Systems for Welding and Cutting
Article 88. Fire Prevention in Welding and Cutting Operations
§4848. Fire Prevention and Suppression Procedure.
(a) The employer shall establish a fire prevention and suppression procedure whenever any of the operations and processes covered by Sections 4794(a) and 4850(a) are conducted on its property. The employer shall issue and implement instructions on fire prevention and suppression procedures based upon the requirements contained in American National Standards Institute (ANSI/ASC) Z49.1-94, Safety In Welding, Cutting and Allied Processes, Chapters 3 and 6 and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 51B-2009, Standard for Fire Prevention During Welding, Cutting, and Other Hot Work, Chapters 3-7, which are hereby incorporated by reference.
(b) Welding blankets, curtains and pads shall be approved for their intended use in accordance with Section 3206 of these Orders.
1. New section filed 7-18-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 29).
2. Amendment of section title filed 7-13-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 78, No. 28).
3. Amendment of subsections (a)(10) and (a)(12) filed 7-8-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 28).
4. Amendment filed 6-12-87; operative 7-12-87 (Register 87, No. 26).
5. Amendment filed 12-3-2002; operative 1-2-2003 (Register 2002, No. 49).
6. Amendment of section heading and section filed 8-30-2010; operative 9-29-2010 (Register 2010, No. 36).
Go Back to Article 88 Table of Contents