|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Mills shall be provided with a hopper of such size and arrangement that it will protect the operator's hands against inadvertent contact with the in-running nip point of the rolls when feeding material, or
(1) Safety trip rods or tight wire cables for each individual mill shall be provided at front and back of all mills extending the length of the face of the rolls. When either pushed or pulled, they shall immediately initiate the process of stopping the rolls.
NOTE: Safety rods or cables may be protected against accidental tripping by the stock being processed, provided such protection does not interfere with the purposes of the safety devices.
(2) The normal location of the safety trip over the front roll shall be within two inches in from the edge of the front roll, and not more than 72 inches nor less than 66 inches above the floor or platform on which the operator stands.
(3) The normal location of the safety trip at the back of the mill shall be within two inches in from the edge of the back roll and shall be in the same horizontal plane as the safety trip over the front roll. When rods are used the length of the lever from the fulcrum shall be the same on the front and back of the mill.
NOTE: Pressure-sensitive body bars may be used in conjunction with safety trip rods or tight wire cables.
(b) After the effective date of these orders, all new mill installations shall not be less than 50 inches above the level on which the operator stands, irrespective of the size of the mill. This distance shall apply to the actual working level, whether it be at the general floor level, in a pit, or on a platform.
(c) All auxiliary equipment such as mill divider, support bars, spray pipes, feed conveyors, strip knives, etc., shall be located in such a manner as to avoid interference with access to and operation of safety devices.
EXCEPTION: Safety control devices listed in this section shall not be required when a mill is so installed that persons cannot normally reach through, over, under, or around to come into contact with the roll bite or be caught between a roll and an adjacent object.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 10-25-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 43).
2. Repealer and new subsection (c) filed 3-2-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 10).
3. Amendment filed 4-25-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 17).
Go Back to Article 71 Table of Contents