|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
When employing the face-down method of printing, automatic or semi-automatic feeders shall be used where feasible. Where automatic feeders are not feasible, the following listed precautions shall be utilized:
(1) Stock material of sufficient size so that 2 inches or more of the material being printed projects in front of the closed die shall be used.
(2) A finger slot in the counterboard which is 2 inches or more from the die shall be used.
(3) A safety training program for press operators and maintenance personnel to assure safe operating practice and hazard awareness shall be instituted.
(4) A sign readily visible to the operator affixed to the press and warning of the point of operation hazard shall be in place.
(5) A positive locking device shall be installed on each manual control to protect the press operators from unexpected stroking of the ram. The device shall protect against unintentional engagement of the clutch and shall be engaged in all circumstances when employees are required to place their hands in the point of operation area such as setup, repairs, changing dies and clearing jams.
NOTE: Authority and reference cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 5-30-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 22).
2. Amendment of subsection (5) filed 9-22-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 41).
Go Back to Article 65 Table of Contents