|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
Where work is being performed on docks or adjacent to open water five feet or more in depth, in addition to the requirements of Section 3389, the following shall apply:
(a) Permanently installed or portable ladders available for emergency use shall be provided on all waterfront docks.
(1) Such ladders shall extend from the face of the dock to the water line at its lowest elevation;
(2) Spacing between ladder installations shall not exceed 400 feet;
(3) The ladder shall be secured to the dock or pier before use; and
(4) The dock area immediately adjacent to ladder locations shall be painted a contrasting bright color.
(b) Runways between the pond or pier and the shore shall be equipped with:
(1) Standard handrails and toeboards; and
(2) Inclined portions shall have cleated or equivalent non-slip surfacing.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 9-15-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 38).
Go Back to Article 64 Table of Contents