|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) It shall be the responsibility of the employer to maintain all forge shop equipment in a condition which will insure continued safe operation. This responsibility includes:
(1) Establishing periodic and regular maintenance safety inspections and keeping certification records of these inspections which include the date of the inspection, the signature of the person who performed the inspection, and the serial number or other identifier of the forging machine which was inspected.
(2) Scheduling and recording inspection of guards and point of operation protection devices at frequent and regular intervals. Recording of inspections shall be in the form of a certification record which includes the date the inspection was performed, the signature of the person who performed the inspection, and the serial number or other identifier of the equipment inspected.
(3) When rings or equivalent devices for locking tongs are used they shall be inspected periodically to insure safe condition.
(4) All overhead parts shall be fastened or protected in such a manner that they will not fly off or fall in event of failure.
(5) Tongs shall be maintained in a safe condition and at the proper hardness level for the job.
(6) Training personnel for the proper inspection and maintenance of forging machinery and equipment. The worker shall be instructed in the proper body position when using tongs.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 10-25-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 43).
2. Amendment filed 12-16-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 51).
3. Amendment of subsections (a)(1) and (a)(2) filed 3-5-90; operative 4-4-90 (Register 90, No. 12).
Go Back to Article 56 Table of Contents