|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Every point of operation guard shall meet the following design, construction, application, and adjustment requirements:
(1) It shall prevent entry of hands or fingers into the point of operation by reaching through, over, under or around the guard;
(2) It shall conform to the maximum permissible openings of Figure G-8 and Table G-3;
(3) It shall, in itself, create no pinch point between the guard and moving machine parts;
(4) A hand tool such as a box, open end or adjustable wrench, socket or key wrench shall be required to remove the guard.
(5) It shall facilitate its inspection, and
(6) It shall offer maximum visibility of the point of operation consistent with the other requirements.
(b) A die enclosure guard shall be attached to the die shoe or stripper in a fixed position.
(c) An interlocked press barrier guard shall be attached to the press frame or bolster and shall be interlocked with the press clutch control so that the clutch cannot be activated unless the guard itself, or the hinged or movable sections of the guard are in position to conform to the maximum permissible openings of Figure G-8 and Table G-3.
(d) The hinged or movable sections of an interlocked press barrier guard shall not be used for manual feeding. The guard shall prevent opening of the interlocked section and reaching into the point of operation prior to die closure or prior to the cessation of slide motion. See Section 4208(b) regarding manual feeding through interlocked press barrier devices.
(e) The adjustable or fixed barrier guard shall be securely attached to the press bed, bolster plate, or die shoe, and shall be adjusted and operated in conformity with Figure G-8 and Table G-3. Adjustments shall be made only by authorized personnel whose qualifications include a knowledge of the provisions of Figure G-8 and Table G-3.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 7-17-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 29).
2. Amendment filed 10-31-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 44).
Go Back to Article 55 Table of Contents