|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
The requirements of this article apply only to those mechanically or hydraulically powered machines that shear, punch, form, or assemble metal or other material by means of tools or dies attached to slides, commonly referred to as power operated presses. Pneumatic power presses (as defined in section 4188), hot bending and hot metal presses, forging presses and hammers are excluded from the requirements of this article.
Sections 4192 through 4211 of article 55 apply to all mechanical power presses (punch presses). Sections 4196 through 4202(a) and 4203 through 4205 of article 55 apply to all power operated presses regardless of type (with the exception of those machines excluded above).
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New article 55 (sections 4189-4205) filed 10-25-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 43).
2. Amendment filed 7-17-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 29).
3. Amendment filed 2-20-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 8).
4. Amendment filed 11-17-82; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 82, No. 47).
5. Amendment filed 10-31-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 44).
6. Change without regulatory effect filed 4-26-90 pursuant to section 100, Title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 90, No. 20).
7. Change without regulatory effect amending section filed 7-24-90 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 90, No. 38).
8. Amendment filed 5-8-96; operative 6-7-96 (Register 96, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 55 Table of Contents