This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 8. Points of Operation and Other Hazardous Parts of Machinery
Article 54. Scope and General Definitions
§4184. Guarding Required.
(a) Machines as specifically covered hereafter in Group 8, having a grinding, shearing, punching, pressing, squeezing, drawing, cutting, rolling, mixing or similar action, in which an employee comes within the danger zone shall be guarded at the point of operation in one or a combination of the ways specified in the following orders, or by other means or methods which will provide equivalent protection for the employee.
(b) All machines or parts of machines, used in any industry or type of work not specifically covered in Group 8, which present similar hazards as the machines covered under these point of operation orders, shall be guarded at their point of operation as required by the regulations contained in Group 8.
Exception: Microtomes (also called histotomes or cryostats) when guarding as required in Section 4184 is infeasible and the microtome is used, operated and maintained in accordance with Section 3558 of these Orders. For the purposes of this Exception guarding as required in Section 4184 is infeasible under circumstances that include, but are not limited to the following: there is no point-of-operation guard commercially available for an employer's microtome.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 10-25-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 43).
2. Amendment filed 4-27-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 17).
3. Renumbering of Section 4185 to Section 4184 filed 11-16-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 46).
4. Amendment of Group 8 title filed 2-20-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 8).
5. Amendment filed 10-31-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 44).
6. New Exception to subsection (b) filed 8-7-2012; operative 9-6-2012 (Register 2012, No. 32).
Go Back to Article 54 Table of Contents