| Return to index
(a) If area of shield guard of wire mesh or expanded metal in a frame exceeds 6 square feet, it shall be reinforced.
(b) Trough or "U" guards shall be installed in accordance with the guidelines illustrated in Figures G-5 and G-6.
(c) An enclosure guard shall be installed so that it completely guards the moving parts.
(d) A nip-point belt and pulley guard shall be constructed so that the nip-points are not exposed to accidental contact.
(e) Horizontal overhead belt guard surfaces subject to contact with the belt shall be smooth. The guard width shall be at least 25% wider than the belt being protected. The clearance need not exceed 6 inches on each side.
(f) Guards for horizontal overhead rope and chain drives shall not be less than 6 inches wider than the drive on each side. Where employees pass under overhead rope and chain drives a shallow trough or other effective means of sufficient strength to carry the weight of the broken chain shall be provided.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (e) filed 7-11-72 as procedural and organizational; effective upon filing (Register 72, No. 29).
2. Repealer and new section filed 10-25-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 43).
3. Amendment of subsections (g) and (h) filed 12-19-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 1).
4. Repealer of subsection (f) and relettering of existing subsections filed 2-20-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 8).
5. Amendment filed 10-9-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 44).