| Return to index
(a) Except as provided in (a)(1) below, every gantry truck wheel shall be guarded with wheel fenders, bumpersor skirt guards which shield each wheel to the front and rear of the vehicle and are designed in a manner to push a person out of the way of the oncoming vehicles.
(1) Wheel guarding is not required for logging and sawmill industry straddle carriers used exclusively to pickup and transport stacked loads of lumber. (See section 6248 for the scope of the logging and sawmill industry operations.)
(b) The main sprockets and chains to rear wheels shall be guarded as follows:
(1) The top sprocket shall be enclosed.
(2) The top half of the lower sprocket shall be enclosed.
(3) The drive chain except that portion of the lower half of the lower sprocket shall be enclosed to a height of seven feet.
(c) Gears shall be enclosed.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50).
2. Amendment filed 9-24-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 39).
3. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 12-17-90; operative 1-16-91 (Register 91, No. 5).
Go Back to Article 31 Table of Contents