| Return to index
(a) When the operator's platform height exceeds 36”, the maximum horizontal speed shall not exceed 2.5 miles/hr. (1.12 meters/sec).
(b) Trucks shall not travel when the operator's platform is elevated over 152” in height (3.86 meters).
Trucks designed to travel within rails or trucks that are electronically guided.
Trucks controlled by a constant pressure inching button which will return to neutral when released by the operator.
(c) A flashing or rotating warning light shall be mounted on the nonelevating portion of the truck at not less than 4 feet nor more than 6 feet elevation and shall be so wired that the light will be activated automatically when the platform is 6 feet or higher and the truck is moved.
(d) A safe work platform not less than 20 inches wide with standard guardrails on all open or exposed sides of the platform shall be securely attached to the lifting carriage and/or forks.
(e) Where a clearance restriction or the nature of the work prohibits the use of standard guardrails, and the employee is exposed to a fall of 4 feet or more, a personal fall arrest system, a personal fall restraint system or positioning device system as defined in Section 3207 of these Orders shall be used in accordance with the requirements of Section 1670 of the Construction Safety Orders as an alternative means of protecting employees from falling. The lanyard length for a personal fall arrest system shall be such that the operator has freedom of movement in the working area, but shall be rigged such that an employee can neither free fall more than 4 feet nor contact any lower level. Lanyards shall be so arranged as not to cause a condition where the operator could trip on the lanyard.
(f) Where only stock pickers, order pickers or side loaders are used in storage access aisles (as defined in section 3207), means such as guide rails, electronic guidance systems, or other means offering equivalent protection, shall be provided to prevent the vehicle from colliding with the storage racks or stored material.
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (b) and new subsections (d) and (e) filed 2-13-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 7).
2. Amendment of subsection (d), repealer and new subsection (e) and new subsection (f) filed 7-26-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 78, No. 30).
3. Amendment of subsections (a), (b), (e) and (f) filed 4-30-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 18).
4. Editorial correction of subsection (a) (Register 91, No. 31).
5. Amendment of subsection (f) filed 6-13-91; operative 7-13-91 (Register 91, No. 46).
6. Amendment of subsection (e) filed 10-2-2000; operative 11-1-2000 (Register 2000, No. 40).
Go Back to Article 25 Table of Contents