| Return to index
(a) The platform deck shall be equipped with:
A guardrail or other structure around its upper periphery that shall be 42 inches high, plus or minus 3 inches, with a midrail. (Chains or the equivalent may be substituted where they give equivalent protection.) Where the guardrail is less than 39 inches high, an approved personal fall protection system as defined in Section 3207 of these Orders shall be used in accordance with the requirements of Section 3648(o) of this Article.
(1) For mast-climbing work platforms used by glaziers, bricklayers and stonemasons, the inboard guardrail may be removed provided: (a) the inboard edge of the work platform or platform extension is no more than 7 inches from the finish face of the building or structure on which the work is being performed or (b) approved personal fall protection systems are used in accordance with Section 1670.
(2) For all other mast-climbing work platforms not included in (a)(1), the inboard guardrail may be removed provided: (a) the inboard edge of the work platform or platform extension is no more than 12 inches from the building or structure wall or (b) approved personal fall protection systems are used in accordance with Section 1670. Note:Equipment buckets, tubs, or pin-on platforms refer to Section 3647.
(b) The configuration of an elevating work platform may include a ladder for personnel to use in reaching the platform deck. Any ladder device used in this way shall have rungs located on uniform centers not to exceed 12 inches.
(c) Any elevating work platform equipped with a powered elevating assembly and having a platform height exceeding 60 inches shall be supplied with safe emergency lowering means compatible with the specific elevating assembly employed.
(d) Any powered elevating work platform shall have both upper and lower control devices. Controls shall be plainly marked as to their function and guarded to prevent accidental operation. The upper control device shall be in or beside the platform, within easy reach of the operator. The lower control device shall have the capability to lower the platform where the operator's safety is in jeopardy.
Exception: Mast-climbing work platform controls shall be located only on the platform.
(e) An emergency stopping device shall be provided at the upper controls of elevating work platforms.
(f) Elevating Work Platforms shall include:
(1) Toe boards at sides and ends which shall not be less than 3 1/2 inches high.
Exception: Toe boards may be omitted at the access openings and on television and movie camera booms.
(2) A hinged trap access door, if applicable.
(3) A platform whose minimum width shall not be less than 16 inches.
(g) Mast-climbing work platforms shall include the following fire safety provisions:
(1) At least one-3A40BC fire extinguisher located not closer than five feet from the control panel.
(2) When fuel-powered equipment is being used, the equipment fuel supply shall be limited to no more than that required for a single shift.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 10-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 41).
2. Amendment of section heading and subsection (a) filed 10-4-99; operative 11-3-99 (Register 99, No. 41).
3. New subsections (a)(1)-(2), amendment of subsection (d) and new subsections
(g)-(g)(2) filed 2-27-2006; operative 3-29-2006 (Register 2006, No. 9).
Go Back to Article 24 Table of Contents