| Return to index
(a) Chutes used in the manual handling of cargo shall be of adequate length and strength for the use to which they are put and shall be kept free of splinters and sharp edges.
(b) When necessary for the safety of employees, chutes shall be equipped with sideboards to afford protection from falling objects.
(c) Chutes and gravity roller sections shall be firmly placed or secured to prevent displacement.
(d) Gravity rollers shall be of sufficient strength for the weight of material which is placed upon them. Rollers shall be locked in position to prevent them from falling or jumping out of the frame.
(e) Frames shall be kept free of burrs and sharp edges.
(f) When necessary for the safety of employees, provisions shall be made for braking objects other than bulk commodities at the delivery end of the roller or chute.
(g) Chute and hopper openings which present a hazard shall be guarded to prevent employees from falling through them.
(h) When employees are working on hoppers, the hopper shall be equipped with a safe walkway and means of access.
(i) Direct communication shall be provided between the discharge or shipboard control end of loading spouts and chutes and the point in the terminal from which the flow of cargo is controlled.
(j) Before an employee enters an empty bin:
(1) Personnel controlling the flow of cargo into the bin shall have been notified of the entry; and
(2) The power supply to the equipment carrying the cargo to the bin shall be turned off, locked out and tagged.
(k) Before an employee enters a bin containing a bulk commodity such as coal or sugar, the employer shall ensure that:
(1) Personnel controlling the flow of cargo into the bin have been notified of the entry;
(2) The power supply to the equipment carrying the cargo to the bin is turned off, locked out and tagged.
(3) The employee entering the bin wears a lifeline and safety harness; and
(4) A standby attendant equipped to perform a rescue is continuously stationed outside the bin until the employee has left the bin.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50).