| Return to index
(a) The structural integrity of docks, piers, wharves, terminals and working surfaces shall be maintained.
(1)Dockboards (car and bridge plates) shall be designed, constructed, and maintained to prevent vehicles from running off the edge.
(b)(1) Vehicle curbs, bull rails, or other effective barriers at least 6 inches (13.74 cm) in height, shall be provided at the waterside edge of aprons and bulkheads, except where vehicles are prohibited. Curbs or bull rails installed after the effective date of this section shall be at least 10 inches (22.9 cm) in height.
(2) The provisions of Subsection (b)(1) also apply at the edge of any fixed level above the common floor area from which vehicles may fall, except at loading docks, where cargo is moved by vehicles.
(c) Readily located ladders shall be provided on all docks, wharves or piers where employees' work exposes them to the hazard of drowning. The ladders shall reach from the floor of the structure to the lowest water elevation. Portable ladders shall be equipped with a substantial means to secure them readily to the structure.
(d) Every marine terminal shall have conspicuously posted signs as follows:
(1) Locations of first aid facilities;
(2) Locations of telephones;
(3) Telephone numbers of the closest ambulance service, hospital or other source of medical attention, police, fire department, and emergency squad (if any); and
(4) Locations of firefighting and emergency equipment and fire exits.
(e) Signs shall be clearly worded and legible, and shall contain a key word or legend indicating the reason for the sign.
(1) Key words are such words as Danger, Warning, Caution.
(2) Legends are more specific explanations such as High Voltage, Close Clearance, Pedestrian Crossing.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 143.2, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50). For prior history, see Register 80, No. 27.
2. Editorial correction of subsection (e)(1) printing error (Register 85, No. 19).
3. New subsection (a)(1) filed 3-6-2001; operative 3-6-2001. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2001, No. 10).
Go Back to Article 14 Table of Contents