|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Supervisory Accident Prevention Proficiency.
(1) After the effective date of these orders immediate supervisors of cargo-handling operations of more than five (5) persons shall satisfactorily complete a course in accident prevention. Employees newly assigned to supervisory duties after that date shall be required to meet the provisions of this subsection within ninety (90) days of such assignment.
(2) The course shall consist of instruction suited to the particular operation involved.
NOTE: The following are recommended topics:1. Safety responsibility and authority;2. elements of accident prevention;3. attitudes, leadership and motivation;4. hazards of longshoring, including peculiar local circumstances; 5. hazard identification and elimination;6. applicable regulations; and7. accident investigations.
(b) First Aid.
(1) Employers shall instruct employees to report every injury, regardless of severity, to the employer.
(2) A first aid kit shall be available at the terminal, and at least one person holding a valid first aid certificate shall be at the terminal when work is in progress.
(3) First aid kits shall be weatherproof and contain individual sealed packages for each item that must be kept sterile. Each kit shall either be approved by a licensed physician or shall include at least the following items:
(A) Gauze roller bandages, 1-inch and 2-inch (25.4 mm and 50.8 mm);
(B) Gauze compress bandages, 4-inch (101.6 mm);
(C) Adhesive bandages, 1-inch (25.4 mm);
(D) Triangular bandage, 40-inch (101.6 cm);
(E) Eye dressing;
(F) Wire or thin board splints;
(G) Forceps; and
(H) First aid dressing.
(4) Stretchers permanently equipped with bridles for hoisting shall be readily accessible. A blanket or other suitable covering shall be available.
(5) Telephone or equivalent means of communication shall be readily available.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50). For prior history, see Register 80, No. 27.
Go Back to Article 14 Table of Contents