Article 13. Certification Requirements
| Return to index
Every crane or derrick certifier, licensed pursuant to article 11 of these orders shall comply with the following requirements:
(a) All tests and examinations shall be performed in accordance with the requirements of title 8 of the California Code of Regulations commencing with section 4884.
(1) No certification shall be issued without first performing all necessary tests and examinations as required by applicable standards or orders, including but not limited to the examination of items 1 through 14 referenced in Plate V of section 4885 of title 8 of the California Code of Regulations.
(2) All certifications shall be issued in a form consistent with that set forth in Plate V of section 4885 of title 8 of the California Code of Regulations.
(b) All testing, examinations, inspections, heat treatments, and recordkeeping procedures shall be carried out by or under the direct supervision of the licensed certifier or surveyor.
(1) Certificates issued pursuant to the license shall be completed and personally signed by the licensed certifier or surveyor performing the test and/or examination.
(c) The District Office of the Division nearest the site of inspection shall be notified of any deficiencies affecting the safe operation of the crane found during the course of any certification inspection. This notification shall be made within five working days following the test/examination date and shall be submitted on a form equivalent to Division form No. IS-162 containing the information set forth in subsection (j) of this section.
Note: Blank IS-162 forms may be obtained from any District Office of the Division: or, see Plate 1 appended to these orders.
(d) Deficiencies for the purposes of this article include any and all conditions found during the course of the certification examination or testing which do not comply with applicable safety orders or manufacturer's specifications.
(e) Correction of all deficiencies affecting the safe operation of the crane shall be verified by the licensed certifier or surveyor prior to issuance of a certification. A signed and dated verification of correction shall be submitted to the Division location where notification was given pursuant to subsection (d) of this section and on the IS-162 form or equivalent along with the certificate issued.
(f) Complete and accurate records of all inspections, tests, and other work performed shall be maintained. At a minimum the licensed certifier shall maintain an inspection record for each crane or derrick inspected and/or tested for certification indicating all items inspected or tested during the course of the certification inspection, as well as copies of any Certifier's Notice of Crane Safety Deficiencies issued and records pertaining to the verification of corrections of any such deficiencies, and all certificates issued. All records shall be maintained for a period of at least five years and shall be made available to the Division upon request.
(g) The following records of the operating history of each crane being examined and/or tested for certification shall be reviewed, if available:
(1) Records of previous certifications and Notices of Crane Safety Deficiencies.
(2) Records of tests performed by others, and,
(3) Records of any modifications, downgrading, upgrading, accidents, and damage relating to the crane or derrick.
(h) Any inspection and/or testing, including proof load tests, being performed shall be limited to those machines authorized by the License.
(i) The Division shall be notified, within 24 hours, in writing if any approved surveyor ceases to be employed by the licensed certifier.
(j) The Notice of Crane Safety deficiencies shall contain at least the following:
(1) Name, address, license number and signature of the licensed certifier or surveyor conducting the inspection.
(2) Name, address and phone number of crane owner and location of crane.
(3) Description and rated capacity of equipment or device, including manufacturer, model No., serial No., and owners identification No., if any.
(4) Date of inspection and notification to the owner and description of deficiencies found during the course of the inspection.
(5) A statement that a certification will not be issued until all deficiencies affecting the safe operation of the crane or derrick have been corrected.
(6) Verification and dates of correction of noted deficiencies.
Note: See Plate 1 appended hereto for a sample form IS-162.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 60.5, 6308 and 7375, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 7375, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 7-15-91 as an emergency; operative 7-15-91 (Register 91, No. 44). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL 11-12-91 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
2. Amendment of subsections (a)(1), (b), (g) and NOTE, repealer of subsection (c) and relettering and new subsection (d) filed 3-18-92; operative 3-18-92 pursuant to Government Code section 11346.2(d) (Register 92, No. 13).
3. Change without regulatory effect amending subsection (a)(1) filed 6-7-94 pursuant to title 1, section 100, California Code of Regulations (Register 94, No. 23).
Plate 1, Notice of Crane Safety Deficiencies (.pdf format, 5K)
Go Back to Article 13 Table of Contents