| Return to index
(a) Foot protection shall be provided in accordance with Section 3385 for fire fighters while engaged in structural fire fighting activity.
(b) The use of foot protection shall be coordinated with the wearing of the protective clothing system to ensure full body protection.
(c) Turnout Boots. Fire fighter turnout boots shall meet the requirements of MIL-B-2885D (5-23-73) and amendment dated 12-31-75.
(d) In addition to the requirements of Section 3408(a), protective footwear other than turnout boots shall also provide:
(1) Slip resistant outersoles.
(2) Sole penetration as required in MIL-B2885D (1973) and amendment dated 1975 “Military Specifications for Firemen's Boots.”
(3) Permanently attached, corrosion resistant midsoles.
(4) Firm ankle support in horizontal and vertical working loads.
(5) If used, corrosion resistant, lockable fasteners.
(6) Toe protection meeting the requirements of either the ANSI Z41 (1983) or (1991), classification 75, which are hereby incorporated by reference.
(7) Corrosion resistant ladder shanks.
(8) Durable outer shell materials withstanding the effects of flame, heat, sharp objects and other hazards encountered in fire fighting activities.
(e) Toe protection shall be optional for those fire fighters who are regularly engaged in structural and wildlands fire fighting activities.
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 4-29-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 18).
2. Amendment of subsection (d)(6) filed 3-6-2000; operative 4-5-2000 (Register 2000, No. 10).
Go Back to Article 10.1 Table of Contents