|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(1) Employees exposed to eye injury hazards shall be protected in accordance with the provisions of Section 3382.
(2) In addition to the requirements of Section 3382, and wherever eye and face protection is not provided by the breathing apparatus facepiece, the face of the fire fighter engaged in structural fire fighting activities shall be protected by one or more of the following means, or other equivalent methods when exposed to injurious heat or flame:
(A) Face shield attached to the helmet;
(B) Heat and flame resistant hood;
(C) High collar and throat strap.
(b) Face Shields. Face shields of plastic or glass shall meet the optical qualities, impact resistance and light transmission standards specified in either the ANSI Z87.1 (1979) or ANSI Z87.1 (1989, and revision Z87.1a-1989), “Practice for Occupational and Educational Eye and Face Protection”, which are hereby incorporated by reference. Face shields constructed of other materials such as wire mesh, shall provide visibility not less than required by ANSI Z87.1. All face shields shall be capable of withstanding heat in accordance with the provisions of Section 3403(b).
(c) Hood and Coat Collars. Such devices shall be constructed and tested in accordance with the provisions of Section 3406, Body Protection.
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 6-13-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 78, No. 18).
2. Amendment of subsection (a)(2) filed 9-11-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 37).
3. Amendment filed 4-29-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 18).
4. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 3-6-2000; operative 4-5-2000 (Register 2000, No. 10).
Go Back to Article 10.1 Table of Contents