| Return to index
(a) General. Head protection shall be provided for each fire fighter, and shall be maintained in a location of readiness for immediate response to fires and like emergencies. Head protection shall be worn by fire fighters whenever they are exposed to head injury hazard. Head protection is normally provided for fire fighters through the use of helmets.
(b) Minimum Requirements, Structural Fire Fighting.
(1) Helmets ordered or purchased after January 1, 1988, for use in structural fire fighting shall be labeled as meeting the requirements contained in NFPA-1972 (1985) "Structural Fire Fighters' Helmets." While the helmets are in service:
(A) Section 3-8 "Ear Covers" shall be optional when protection required by Section 3405 is provided.
(B) Section 3-9 "Faceshields" shall be optional when protection required by Section 3404 is provided.
(C) Section 3-10 "Fluorescent Retroreflective Markings" shall be optional.
(2) Helmets ordered, purchased and/or placed in service prior to January 1, 1988, for use in structural fire fighting shall meet the performance, construction, and testing requirements of the National Fire Safety and Research Office, National Fire Prevention and Control Administration, U. S. Department of Commerce contained in "Model Performance Criteria for Structural Fire Fighters' Helmets, dated August, 1977," with the following additional requirements:
(A) The helmet shall be compatible with the breathing apparatus face piece.
(B) Visibility and reflectivity shall be optional.
(C) Earflaps shall be optional when protection required by Section 3405 is provided.
(D) A durable label shall be permanently attached and shall include the following information:
1. Name or designation of manufacturer;
2. Month and year of manufacture;
3. Lot Number; and
4. Model designation.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 9-11-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 37).
2. Amendment filed 4-29-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 18).
3. Amendment filed 11-5-87; operative 12-5-87 (Register 87, No. 46).