This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 2. Safe Practices and Personal Protection
Article 10. Personal Safety Devices and Safeguards
§3385. Foot Protection.
(a) Appropriate foot protection shall be required for employees who are exposed to foot injuries from electrical hazards, hot, corrosive, poisonous substances, falling objects, crushing or penetrating actions, which may cause injuries or who are required to work in abnormally wet locations.
(b) Footwear which is defective or inappropriate to the extent that its ordinary use creates the possibility of foot injuries shall not be worn.
(c)(1) Protective footwear for employees purchased after January 26, 2007 shall meet the requirements and specifications in American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) F 2412-05, Standard Test Methods for Foot Protection and ASTM F 2413-05, Standard Specification for Performance Requirements for Foot Protection which are hereby incorporated by reference.
(2) Protective footwear purchased on or before January 26, 2007 shall meet the requirements of either the American National Standard for Personal Protection -Protective Footwear, American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z41-1999, or the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) F2412-05, Standard Test Methods for Foot Protection and ASTM F 2413-05, Standard Specification for Performance Requirements for Foot Protection which are hereby incorporated by reference.
1. Repealer and new section filed 7-11-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 28).
2. Amendment of newly designated subsection (c)(1), new subsection (c)(2) and new Note filed 12-13-94; operative 1-12-95 (Register 94, No. 50).
3. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 9-30-96; operative 10-30-96 (Register 96, No. 40).
4. Amendment of subsections (c)(1)-(2) filed 12-27-2006; operative 1-26-2007 (Register 2006, No. 52). For prior history, see Register 96, No. 40.
5. Amendment of subsection (c)(2) filed 8-31-2009; operative 9-30-2009 (Register 2009, No. 36).
Go Back to Article 10 Table of Contents