| Return to index
In this chapter unless otherwise specifically indicated:
(a) "Chief" means the Chief Administrative Officer of the Division of Occupational Safety and Health.
(b) "Working days" means Mondays through Fridays but shall not include Saturday, Sunday or State Holidays. In computing 15 working days, the day of receipt of any notice shall not be included, and the last day of the 15 working days shall be included.
(c) "Inspection" means any inspection of an employer's factory, plant, establishment, construction site, or other area, workplace or environment where work is performed by an employee of an employer and includes any inspection conducted pursuant to a complaint, any reinspection, or follow-up inspection.
(d) "Code" means the California Labor Code.
(e) "Order" included within the term "order" are the General Orders adopted by the Industrial Safety Board or the Industrial Accident Commission, Rules and Regulations promulgated by the Director of the Department of Industrial Relations and the Division of Occupational Safety and Health, decisions, requirements and orders made by the Division of Occupational Safety and Health.
(f) "Carcinogen" includes the following recognized cancer causing substances for which standards have been adopted:
(1) Any of the following substances and any compound, mixture, or product containing such substances:
(C) Benzidine (and its salts).
(D) Bis (chloromethyl) ether.
(E) 3,3'-dichlorobenzidine (and its salts).
(K) Methyl chloromethyl ether.
(M) 4,4'-Methylenebis (2-Chloroaniline.)
(2) Asbestos, including chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, tremolite, anthophyllite, and actinolite.
(3) Vinyl chloride.
(4) 1,2- dibromo -3 chloropropane (DBCP).
(5) Coke oven emissions
(7) Inorganic Arsenic.
(8) Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)
(9) Ethylene Oxide
(10) Any other substance for which standards are adopted and in effect due to cancer causing properties and any compound, mixture, or product containing such a substance, except as specifically exempted from such standards.
(g) "Order To Take Special Action" means any order written by the Chief or his or her authorized representative which requires the employer to comply with applicable provisions of Division 5 of the California Labor Code, or with specific standards, orders or regulations of the Standards Board whose enforcement upon the employer are at the discretion of the Division
(h) "Serious injury or illness" means any injury or illness occurring in a place of employment or in connection with any employment which requires inpatient hospitalization for a period in excess of 24 hours for other than medical observation or in which an employee suffers a loss of any member of the body or suffers any serious degree of permanent disfigurement, but does not include any injury or illness or death caused by the commission of a Penal Code violation, except the violation of Section 385 of the Penal Code, or an accident on a public street or highway.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 54, 55, 6308, 6318 and 9004, Labor Code; and Bendix Forest Products Corporation v. Division of Occupational Safety and Health (1979) 25 Cal. 3d 465, (158 Cal. Rptr. 882). Reference: Sections 6302(h), 6308 and 6318 and 9004, Labor Code.
1. New Chapter 1, Group 1 (Sections 1-15) filed 1-4-74 as an emergency; effective upon filing (Register 74, No. 2).
2. Certificate of Compliance filed 5-3-74 (Register 74, No. 18).
3. Renumbering of Chapter 1, Group 1 (Sections 1-15) to Chapter 3.2, Group 1 (Sections 330, 331, 331.1-331.5, 332, 332.1, 332.2, 333-336 and 336.1) filed 7-31-74 as organizational and procedural; designated effective 8-1-74 (Register 74, No. 31).
4. Amendment of subsections (c), (d) and (r) and new subsection (s) filed 2-28-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 9).
5. Amendment filed 12-28-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 52).
6. New subsection (g) filed 9-19-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 38).
7. Amendment of subsection (f) and new subsection (h) filed 1-15-87; effective upon filing pursuant to Government Code Section 11346.2(d) (Register 87, No. 3).