| Return to index
Use and Application. Suspended transportable scaffolds shall comply with the applicable provisions of Article 23 of the Construction Safety Orders, and permanent scaffolds shall be installed as required by Article 6 of the General Industry Safety Orders.
(a) No manually operated suspended scaffold for which the rigging must be suspended by hand shall be extensible to more than 130 feet from the work platform to the upper anchorage.
(1) No power operated suspended scaffold for which the rigging must be suspended by hand shall be extensible to more than 130 feet from the work platform to the upper anchorage, unless the rigging and suspended safety lines are raised and lowered by mechanical means. (Title 24, Part 2, Section 2-8504 (a).)
(b) When a suspended scaffold is suspended over an area traveled by workers, the public or vehicular traffic, the ground area directly under the work zone shall be effectively blocked by means of barricades, or an attendant shall be stationed so as to keep the area clear. Warning signs shall also be posted below.
(c) When on a working platform, each window cleaner shall be protected by a personal fall arrest system meeting the requirements of Article 6, Appendix C, Section I of the General Industry Safety Orders, and as otherwise provided by these orders.
(1) Dog lines shall not be used in lieu of an independent safety line on two-line suspended, transportable scaffolds having only one suspension line at each end of the scaffold.
(d) Permanent scaffolds shall be provided on all buildings exceeding 130 feet in height. All permanent scaffold installations installed after July 1, 1993, shall be installed and comply with the provisions of Article 6. All permanent scaffold installations installed prior to July 1, 1993, and after September 29, 1974 shall be installed and comply with all provisions of Article 6, Appendix D. Permanent scaffolds installed prior to September 29, 1974 shall be inspected, tested and maintained in accordance with the provisions of Article 6, Appendix D.
Note: For the purpose of this section, a permanent suspended scaffold and a permanent suspended work platform shall be considered to be the same. (Title 24, Part 2, Section 2-8504 (b).)
Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
2. Amendment filed 10-29-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 44).
3. Editorial correction filed 10-7-83; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 83, No. 41).
4. Amendment filed 9-12-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 37).
5. Amendment of first paragraph filed 5-1-90; operative 5-31-90 (Register 90, No. 23).
6. Amendment of first paragraph and subsections (a)(1), (c) and (d) filed 3-9-93; operative 4-8-93 (Register 93, No. 11).
7. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 3-31-2000; operative 4-30-2000 (Register 2000, No. 13).
Go Back to Article 5 Table of Contents